Porridge is often thought of as a Winter staple, but I find it is the best breakfast at any time of the year. It all depends on your toppings.
Porridge makes a great breakfast as an amazing source of fibre. This fibre slows the absorption of sugar which helps to stabilise blood sugar levels.
To make the porridge base I usually use gluten free oats. I love the consistency of oats as opposed to other gluten free alternatives such as quinoa or buckwheat flakes. If I don't forget I soak the oats in my milk of choice or water over night, before cooking them, to make them easier to digest.
To make the porridge, I heat it up on a low flame and continuously stir it until the consistency gets nice and creamy.
For one portion of porridge I use.
- 1/3 cup of Gluten Free Oats
- 4 tbsp Coconut Milk
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil (for extra creaminess)
Just add everything together, heat it up slowly and stir.
My toppings of choice are:
- To adapt it to the different seasons, I try to use seasonal fruit and either add them fresh or make a compote by stewing the fruits with a little bit of water.
- For sweetness you can add chopped dates or coconut syrup
- My favourite toppings are: cacao nibs for crunchiness, almond butter, goji berries, bee pollen, fresh berries of all kinds and cinnamon.
What are your favourite toppings to enjoy your porridge all year round?